December 29, 2014


Fair Trade Huipil Bags 


For those of you that have followed the growth of the Gypsies + Debutantes brand you know that I am obsessed with textiles. Some people are mad about plaid, but I'm gaga for geometrics. The more exotic and detailed the more I swoon and that is why several years ago when I was trying to find a fair trade women owned/opperated coop that could weave my friendship bracelets, I almost cried with happiness when I saw the textiles from this one  small town. They came in the form of huipils (blouses) and I became crazed with trying to buy every one I saw even though I wasn't sure exactly what I was going to do with them. My mom hung hers on the wall but that seemed less than exciting to me. I wanted to wear them, but In a modern way. So they sat in a box until I cut one up and sewed the back of a jacket. That was cool, but still not it. I met some artisans that made shoes and bags so I sketched up a few designs while sitting with them and they were great at translating my sketches into an actual product. Adding bags to the line has allowed me to help even more artisans than I had hoped for while sustaining an ancient art form. Every time I visit this town I notice the indigenous people are becoming more modern and I hope they continue to pass these skills down to their children. 




If you notice, under the handle there's a red design that looks like the sun. This was the neck of the huipil. Each huipil takes 2-3 months to weave, are all one of a kind, and often tell a story about the weaver and where she is from. Often, weaving is the only skill these women posses as they don't know how to read or write and make very little money to support their families. We purchase these huipils directly from the weavers and then turn them into hobo bags, tote bags, overnighters, cross bodies, wristlets and more giving them a sustainable income.
                  

                   And let's not forget the fringe. Perfect for all those festivals.






  When you want to travel light. Wristlets.




Notice how perfect each stitch is?

Close up




Peace, Love and Textiles!





*All Photos owned by Gypsies + Debutantes and may not be used or reproduced without consent.